Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu
Alternative Text Alternative Text Alternative Text Alternative Text
Survivor of US Drone Attack:
Obama Belongs on List of World's Tyrants

Poisoning Black Cities: Corporate Campaign to Ethnically Cleanse US Cities Massive Marches in Poland
Against Authoritarian Threat of Far-Right
Ethiopia’s Invisible Crisis: Land Rights Activists Kidnapped and Tortured

Global Perspectives Now Global Perspectives Now

TV Producers Are Exploiting Real Crime and Suffering for a Buck — Sometimes With Deadly Consequences

Second Trial for 'Show Off' TV Cop: 7-Year-Old Girl Shot Dead During SWAT Commando Raid on  Apartment Which Was Part of 'Reality Show'

Aiyana Stanley-Jones.
Aiyana Stanley-Jones.
By ED WHITE
A member of an elite Detroit police unit is set to stand trial again for killing a 7-year-old girl during a 2010 raid on her house that was captured on video by a reality TV crew.

Nobody alleges that Officer Joseph Weekley intended to kill Aiyana Stanley-Jones, who had been sleeping on a couch near the front door when officers burst through around midnight in search of a murder suspect. But prosecutors charged him with involuntary manslaughter because they believe he handled his submachine gun recklessly, causing the girl's death.

Jury selection starts Monday in Wayne County court, 15 months after Weekley's first trial ended with jurors unable to agree on a verdict.

Weekley was a member of Detroit's Special Response Team, which was sent to an east side neighborhood to capture a suspect in the killing of a teenager outside a convenience store.



Police threw a stun grenade through a window, emitting smoke, bright light and vibrations to confuse anyone inside. Weekley was first through the door, with a shield in one hand and a gun in the other. He claims he accidentally pulled the trigger when Aiyana's grandmother, Mertilla Jones, grabbed his gun. She denies that she interfered in any way.

Read More

___________________


Omaha Police Officer Accidentally Kills "Cops" Film Crew Member During Shootout

By Associated Press
When the call came from an officer who needed help facing an armed robber at a fast-food restaurant, two members of a reality television show riding along with Omaha police hustled to record the confrontation.

Bryce Dion. (Screen capture from YouTube video)
In the chaotic scene that unfolded, one crew member was struck by "friendly fire" from one of the officers, a bullet slipping past his bulletproof vest and killing him, Omaha Police Chief Todd Schmaderer said Wednesday. The robbery suspect was also killed. The weapon he was carrying turned out to be a pellet gun, though it looked and sounded so real that both witnesses and officers were fooled, Schmaderer said.

Bryce Dion, 38, of Boston, the audio supervisor for Cops, is the first crew member of the long-running TV show to be killed while filming police in action, executives with the show's production company said. Police identified the robbery suspect as 32-year-old Cortez Washington, who was on parole from Missouri for a robbery conviction.


Schmaderer told reporters that police and prosecutors have reviewed the Cops video of Tuesday's shooting and found that the officers "had no choice" but to open fire, though a grand jury will still be tasked with investigating.

Read More

___________________



Man Whose Arrest Was Filmed By "Cops" Sues Officers For Brutality


The lawsuit seeks damages as well as an injunction prohibiting the police agencies from associating with "Cops" or similar TV programs again.

Hansen, who did not commit a crime, was passed out drunk in a sleeping bag outside a relative's home


The TV show "Cops": Screen captured from Google search results.

By KomoNews
A man apparently woken from a drunken stupor by Pierce County sheriff's deputies, repeatedly zapped with a stun gun and finally chewed by a police dog - all in front of a production crew from the TV show "Cops" - has sued the county and the officers, alleging brutality.

The deputies, accompanied by a K-9 officer from the Tacoma Police Department, were looking for an armed suspect in a car break-in when they came upon Aaron Otto Hansen, 34, of Roy, early on July 10, 2004.

Hansen, who did not commit the crime, was passed out drunk in a sleeping bag outside a relative's home in the Tacoma suburb of Lakewood, one of his lawyers said. The "Cops" video footage of his arrest, obtained by The Associated Press, seems to support that claim:

"Wake up! Show me your hands!" one officer, identified in the lawsuit as Deputy Joseph Kolp, screams at Hansen on the video.

No response.

"You're gonna get tased, dude," Kolp says.

Kolp pulls on the sleeping bag. Hansen - clearly disoriented - tries to pull it back over his head, apparently to shield his eyes from Deputy Russell Martin's flashlight. Kolp grabs Hansen's arm and Martin moves in to help with an arrest.

Hansen, still on the ground, starts to revive. He pushes Kolp, and the officers repeatedly use their Tasers as they kneel on him, pressing the instruments into his chest and his buttocks.

Read More

____________________


"To Catch a Predator" TV Show Called "Cause" of Former District Attorney's Suicide: Show's Producer's Accused of Manipulating Police


Chris Hansen: The "To Catch a Predator" star was caught in his own extramarital
scandal
and lost his position as host.

By CLAUDIA FELDMAN
TV Show "To Catch a Predator" Said To "Cause" Former District Attorney's [Louis Conradt] Suicide

A TV news organization often criticized for ethical lapses takes another hit in the September issue of Esquire magazine.

Former Kaufman County District Attorney,
Louis "Bill" Conradt Jr.
Luke Dittrich's story says the staff of Dateline NBC's To Catch a Predator manipulated and controlled law enforcement officers during a sting in Murphy in north Texas, blurring the lines between reporters and police and resulting in the suicide of a former district attorney.

Editor David Granger is calling on NBC to cancel To Catch a Predator before someone else dies.

"The show puts aside the need for due process," Granger said in a recent interview. (Esquire, like the Houston Chronicle, is a Hearst publication.) "Whether these men are convicted in a court of law or not, they're convicted in the court of public opinion. Our country has not succeeded and prospered for two centuries by exploiting people who have no recourse. It's just wrong."

[...]

The Esquire investigation shows [...] that after two weeks of vidchat, Conradt stopped communicating with the actor who was pretending to be 13. He didn't answer the decoy's computer messages, and soon stopped taking his phone calls.
RELATED STORY: 10 Incredibly Controversial Sting Operations
For whatever reason, however, the Dateline staffers decided not to wait for Conradt to come to them. Instead, they urged police to arrest the prosecutor at home. The magazine article describes the police camping out on his front lawn, then breaking into the house with a search warrant riddled with mistakes.

Read More

____________________

Judge Refuses to Block TV Show on Unsolved Killing
By PHILIP A. JANQUART
An Idaho judge on Friday denied an emergency motion to block an episode of a TNT show about a 10-year-old, unsolved murder case, to be broadcast Friday night.

Brad Scott Compher (top, middle) was charged
with the murder of Nori Jones.
Bannock County public defenders Randy Schulthies and Dave Martinez were still working this afternoon to block TNT from airing the episode of "Cold Justice," which they say could bias a jury against their client.

The episode will describe the killing of Pocatello resident Nori Jones and her suspected killer, Brad Scott Compher.

Compher, 39, was arrested in September 2014 on first-degree murder charges after he was matched with a single fingerprint recovered from the crime scene.

Jones, 25, was found dead in her home on Sept. 28, 2004. She had been stabbed repeatedly.
Compher's attorney made a motion for prior restraint in an attempt to block TNT from airing the show, but Idaho's 6th District Magistrate Judge Rick Carnaroli denied the motion.

Schulthies and Martinez were granted permission to appeal to Idaho's 6th District Judge Stephen Dunn, who denied the motion in an emergency hearing held online at 2 p.m. Friday.

Read More

____________________

Dying in the E.R., and on TV Without His Family’s Consent


By By CHARLES ORNSTEIN
Anita Chanko could not sleep. At 4 a.m., on an August night in 2012, she settled onto the couch in her Yorkville living room with her dog, Daisy, and her parrot, Elliott, and flipped on the DVR. On came the prior night’s episode of “NY Med,” the popular real-life medical series set at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, starring Dr. Mehmet Oz. Mrs. Chanko, 75, was a fan of the show and others like it.

[...]

Anita Chanko, TV Star Dr. Mehmet Oz (inset) and husband, Mark Chanko (far right).
(Screen capture from YouTube video)
On the TV screen, she saw a chief surgery resident, Sebastian Schubl, responding to an emergency in which a man is hit by a vehicle. “And then I see, even with the blurred picture, you could tell it was him,” she said. “You could hear his speech pattern. I hear my husband say, ‘Does my wife know I’m here?’ ”

There was no doubt in her mind: The blurred-out man moaning in pain was her husband of almost 46 years, the Korean War veteran she met in a support group for parents without partners.

“I hear them saying his blood pressure is falling. I hear them getting out the paddles and then I hear them saying, ‘O.K., are you ready to pronounce him?’ ”

She clenched her fists so tightly that “the palms of my hands almost looked like stigmata” and her mouth got so dry that her tongue stuck to the roof “as if I had just eaten a whole jar of peanut butter.”

“I saw my husband die before my eyes.”

Read More

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...