Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu
Alternative Text Alternative Text Alternative Text Alternative Text
Survivor of US Drone Attack:
Obama Belongs on List of World's Tyrants

Poisoning Black Cities: Corporate Campaign to Ethnically Cleanse US Cities Massive Marches in Poland
Against Authoritarian Threat of Far-Right
Ethiopia’s Invisible Crisis: Land Rights Activists Kidnapped and Tortured

Global Perspectives Now Global Perspectives Now

Killings of Migrants in South Africa Reportedly Sparked by Bigoted Statements of Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithini

Zwelithini referred to migrants as "lice" and said they should pack up and leave South Africa. His statements were said to have sparked killings and the looting of homes and businesses owned by migrants from other African countries.

'King' Goodwill Zwelithini. (Screen capture from YouTube video)
 'King' Goodwill Zwelithini. (Screen capture from YouTube video)
By Aljaseera via AllAfrica
Scenes of looted stores are greeting Johannesburg residents in South Africa as police assist foreign nationals to safety in Alexandra, north of Johannesburg, following a second day of violence.

Overnight, looting and road blockages by anti-immigrant protesters were reported in Alexandra, Malvern, Thokoza and Cleveland on Saturday.

Colonel Dlamini, Gauteng police spokesperson, told Al Jazeera: "We believe these are pure criminal acts. People are taking advantage of the situation and then they are robbing small businesses."

Late on Friday a group of protesters barricaded portions of the M2 highway with rocks and refuse, and police were forced to fire rubber bullets to disperse the crowd.

"There were problems in Cleveland last night where the residents from the informal settlement attacked foreign nationals but police have attended to the situation," Dlamini said.


King Goodwill Zwelithini Says Foreigners Must Go


Dlamini said more than 30 people were arrested on Friday night in the Cleveland and Thokoza policing area, while another five were arrested in Alexandra.

In the port city of Durban, meanwhile, no new incidents of violence against foreigners have been reported.
RELATED STORY: Nigerian Organization Calls for Reprisals Against the South African Government for its Inability to Deal with Xenophobic Attacks on Nigerians in South Africa


Police, however, established overnight that a sixth person had been confirmed dead in the violence

that has plagued the city for over two weeks.
RELATED STORY: Human Rights Commission wants King Goodwill to clarify comments
According to investigations by Durban police, the body of a 58-year-old man found dumped in Verulam, north of Durban, on Wednesday, has been revealed to be a foreign national who was attacked by a mob at his home in the area.

Thousands displaced

The UN Refugee Agency estimates that a total of 5,000 people have been displaced in the current wave of violence.
RELATED STORY: President Zuma faces pressure to end violence in South Africa

Makeshift shelters for displaced foreigners has been set up around Durban, from which many foreigners are now preparing to leave South Africa.

According to UNHCR, some 1,400 people, mostly single men, with few families, are being accommodated in Chatsoworth, while, 300 others are sheltered in Isipingo, and another 450 in Greenwood Park.

Read More

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...